Graduate Writing Center Information
Need help with a paper? Want to improve your writing skills? Searching for resources for your students? The Graduate Writing Center is here to help!
Graduate Writing Center tutors can help with:
- Development, organization and support of content (ideas, concepts, arguments)
- Meeting the needs of the assignment (answer the call of the question)
- Using thesis as a control to focus and organize the essay
- Using a topic sentence as a control to focus and organize a paragraph
- Meeting audience needs
- Grammar and punctuation
- Using adequate transitions between paragraphs/sentences
- Correcting wordiness and awkwardness
- Eliminating mechanical errors
- Checking for correct documentation forms
- Standard greeting, including your full name, course name and number (ie EDGR 506), and assignment deadline
- Example: Dear Writing Center, My name is John Jones. I’m an MEd student and I’m submitting an assignment for EDGR 602 due Mar 31.
- Attachment of your draft in a Word document only
- The assignment instructions/rubric
- 1-3 writing concerns or questions to focus on during the review.
Please note: Papers will NOT be reviewed without all of the information listed above. Tutors do not correct or re-write papers or do research. They are present to guide you through the writing process.