Health & Physical Education Certificate Program
The College of Education Health & Physical Education Certificate is designed for candidates seeking to add a Health and/or PE endorsement to an existing license. With the addition of the Health & Physical Education certificate program, Concordia University seeks to provide an opportunity for career enhancement, continued learning, and professional advancement. The courses for this program are offered on campus in Portland, Oregon.
Program Goals & Objectives
Upon program completion, the health and physical educator will understand and apply the current research for advanced teaching and assessment techniques as well as curriculum development in the field of health and physical education. The candidate will also develop strategies for providing a supportive classroom culture for the diverse learning community.
Using the knowledge from current research and community partnerships, as well as best practices in the field, the candidate will assess their PreK-12 students’ health and physical education needs and motivations.
The candidate will utilize data-based knowledge to guide the PreK-12 students in designing and safely implementing fitness, health and wellness program plans.
The candidate creates appropriate health and physical education instruction that responds to the varying student motivations along with the diverse learning environment.
Health & Physical Education Certificate (15-17 Credit Hours)
- EDGR 500 - Professional Planning Seminar (1)
- EDHP 515 - Issues and Research in HPE (3)
- EDHP 516 - Authentic & Alternative Assessment in HPE (3)
- EDHP 517 - Innovative Curriculum in HPE (3)
- EDHP 518 - Managing the Diverse HPE Environment (3)
- EDHP 519 - Health Practicum (2) *
- EDHP 520 - PE Practicum (2) * (Prerequisite: EDGR 500)
* 2 practicums required if you desire to add both Health and PE endorsements
The courses for this certificate program can be taken on campus only.