Private, nonprofit, and accredited, Concordia University-Portland specializes in the education of educators worldwide. We look for MAT candidates who are passionate about shaping the future and making a difference in a classroom of their own.

For questions about our MAT program options, class start dates, application criteria, funding opportunities, career outcomes, and more, connect with an enrollment specialist or admission counselor now. Or go ahead and start the application process. (It’s free and takes just a few minutes.)


If you share our belief that education can change the world, apply today.

Admission Requirements

The following requirements are for U.S. citizens and permanent residents applying to Concordia’s College of Education programs. Chat with an enrollment specialist or admissions counselor for full details.

  • Doctorate of Education

Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT)

Application Review: Applications are reviewed as they are received. You can submit your online application before sending in your other materials. Typically, elementary candidates and some secondary candidates will receive an admission decision within two weeks after their interview. Quality candidates will continue to be accepted until the cohorts are full, at which time a waitlist will be created.

Important: There are limits to the number of placements for secondary subject areas. Currently, Social Studies (History, Geography, etc) and Language Arts (English) placements are forecasted beyond capacity. Each academic year, the admission committee will begin admitting students who have applied for the full-time and evening programs for Language Arts and Social Studies beginning November 1st. If any open positions remain after this initial decision date, the committee will meet every other month thereafter to offer admission for these openings. Students interested in teaching Social Studies or Language Arts are encouraged to submit their application and all materials (including passing scores on all required tests) as soon as possible so they can be reviewed before the first decision date.

Priority application dates for MAT programs

On-campus programs:

  • January Cohort - Full-Time Program - November 1st (Elementary cohort only)
  • June Cohort - Full-Time Program - March 1st
  • August Cohort - Evening Program - May 1st

(The priority application dates are used for scholarship deadlines and to encourage early application)

Ready to apply? Please submit the following:

  1. Completed MAT Application
  2. 1-2 page Letter of Intent that explains why you want to be a teacher, why you are considering Concordia, and where you see yourself in five years (both personally and professionally).
  3. Official transcripts verifying a baccalaureate degree from a regionally-accredited post-secondary institution. (In-progress transcripts must document current coursework.)
    Note: If you are submitting transcripts from an institution outside of the United States you will need to have them evaluated by one of our transcript evaluation partners.
  4. A minimum 2.8 GPA for undergraduate work (3.0 GPA for any graduate coursework) is required for admission.
    Note: Graduate credit at CU will only be awarded for courses receiving a B- grade or higher.
  5. Résumé that lists education, recent work experience, and any experiences in educational settings or with youth.
  6. Two letters of reference dated within the last year. We ask that your references state how they know you, how they have seen you interact with children or youth or in an educational setting, and how they feel you will be as a teacher. Letters of recommendation are confidential and not available to students. Please consult your admission counselor or enrollment specialist for details about submitting the letters of reference.
  7. An official score report from the SAT, ACT, GRE or Praxis Core (reading, writing, and math subtests) required. Cut scores required for licensure may vary by state.
  8. Complete TSPC character questionnaire.
  9. An interview with two members of the College of Education. (This is the final phase of the admission process. If your completed file meets all requirements, you may be contacted to schedule an interview.)

International Students

  • International students must report a passing score on an English proficiency test and other pertinent forms.
  • TOEFL: paper-based = 550; internet-based = 80; IELTS: 6.5

Exception: International students whose undergraduate education took place in Australia, Canada (English-speaking provinces), United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand, or the U.S. are exempt from this requirement. Students born in one of these countries yet educated elsewhere are still required to satisfy the English proficiency requirement.

Submit your application materials

On-campus MAT or MAT-Evening program:

You may submit your application online first, and then submit your materials (preferably in one packet) in one of the following methods:

If You Don't Meet Certain Requirements:

Certain criteria and GPA requirements vary by program. Find out from an enrollment specialist now if you qualify for your program, or if you qualify for conditional admission, which may simply require additional materials.

If You’re Transferring In From Another University:

We want to help you get the most of out of the credits you’ve already earned. Connect with an enrollment specialist or admissions counselor now to discuss the transfer credit policies specific to the program that interests you.

I could tell right away that I would fit here at Concordia. You feel that sense of community from the get-go.

Francesca Aultman, '15, MAT


Concordia accepts students from around the globe.

This criteria is for international students (anyone who will or is temporarily residing in the United States on an F-1 student visa) who would like to be considered for admission into our MAT programs.

The same requirements as U.S. citizens/permanent residents, plus the following additions:

  • Proof of a bachelor’s or master’s degree that is recognized by the Ministry of Education from that country and equivalent to a bachelor's or master's degree earned in the United States

  • Statement of Financial Guarantee

  • All foreign transcripts must be evaluated by an approved transcript evaluation partner (see full list provided on this page)

Score requirements for the MAT program:

  • TOEFL: Internet-based score - 80; paper-based score - 550

  • IELTS: 6.5

Exception: International students whose undergraduate education took place in Australia, Canada (English-speaking provinces), United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand, or the U.S. are exempt from this requirement. Students born in one of these countries yet educated elsewhere are still required to satisfy the English proficiency requirement.

International students enrolled in an online program will not be issued an I-20 and will not be eligible to receive an F-1 student visa to study in the United States.

An evaluation may be obtained from one of the following institutions. Please note that a comprehensive or course-by-course report is required.

Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, Inc. (ACEI)

P.O. Box 6908
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
Phone: 310-275-3530 or 800-234-1597
Fax: 310-275-3528

Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE)

P.O. Box 92970
Milwaukee, WI 53202-0970
Phone: 414-289-3400
Fax: 414-289-3411

Foundation for International Services, Inc. (FIS)

505 5th Avenue South, Suite 101
Edmonds, WA 98020
Phone: 425-248-2255
Fax: 425-248-2262

World Education Services, Inc. (WES)

P.O. Box 5087
Bowling Green Station
New York, NY 10274-5087
Phone: 212-966-6311
Fax: 212-739-6100

My experience as a Concordia student first and foremost showed me that I can confidently run my own classroom.



Check out the answers to our most common FAQs

What is the difference between Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) and Master of Education (MEd) degrees?

Master of Arts in Teaching degree programs are rich in practical, discipline-specific information. Concordia’s MAT program is designed to enable candidates to enter the teaching profession at the Preliminary Teaching License level in the state of Oregon. MAT programs can be excellent options for individuals with bachelor’s degrees in another field looking to switch careers.

In comparison, MEd degree programs often require more theoretical coursework and offer a fuller understanding of the teaching profession as a whole including pedagogy, specific instructional strategies for an area of concentration, and education leadership. These programs are intended for practicing educators and other professionals who seek to enhance their skills and who may need to use credits toward professional development. Concordia’s MEd programs are not designed or intended to lead in any way toward a teaching license, endorsement, or administrative credential, with the exception of the MEd in Administration. A Master of Education degree may be the first stage in education doctoral programs, enabling interested students to pursue further advanced study at a later date.

Will my Oregon preliminary teaching license work in other states?

In most cases, yes. Oregon has very strict guidelines and high standards for teacher licensure. Because of this, we hold reciprocity with most states in the country. Very often, a different state will simply require paperwork and fees to obtain a license in that state. Sometimes, the new state required tests, and will also require a state history course or other basic courses to be completed as part of its licensing agreement. It is often easier to be licensed in Oregon and transfer that license elsewhere than vice versa.

How do I know if Concordia University-Portland offers quality programs?

Four words: Nonprofit. Accredited. History. Results. Affiliated with the Concordia University System, including 9 campuses located throughout the United States, Concordia University-Portland was founded more than 100 years ago and is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.

Delivering a quality education through our College of Education programs is our top priority, which is why our faculty is composed of practitioners with extensive industry experience and we are constantly refreshing our curricula. Plus we offer numerous academic resources that our students can use for research purposes.

Can I get accepted if my grade point average (GPA) is below the program requirements?

Depending on the program to which you are applying, conditional admission may be provided to students who do not meet the GPA requirements; however, additional material and documentation will be required. GPA requirements vary by program. Please contact an enrollment specialist or admission counselor to discuss admission into your degree program of interest.

Can I start in either the evening or full-time program and then switch to the other program?

No. The classes are sequential and build upon each other. The two program timelines are so different that it makes switching between the two unfeasible.

Is fingerprinting and a background check required?

Students must be cleared by TSPC (the state licensing agency) prior to volunteering in a setting with children or youth, or prior to clinical experiences such as student teaching.

You will receive fingerprinting and background check information from the College of Education with instructions on how to complete the process. There are fees associated with this process. Please visit the TSPC website for more information.

Due to our location within Faubion School, you will also be asked to complete the PPS background check at the start of your first semester on campus, which is free.

Students in the BS in ECE program should refer to the handbook for specific background check requirements.

How can I find a student teaching clinical placement?

The Placement Office oversees the clinical experience of licensure programs within the College of Education. Please visit the Placement Office page for more information.

What tests do I need to take in the MAT program?

Once admitted, you will need to pass the Civil Rights Test before beginning your practicum or student teaching experiences. Elementary candidates must also pass the NES Elementary Education Test before the practicum. If you are pursuing the secondary level and do not hold a degree in the subject you want to teach, the Content-Specific Test(s) will need to be passed before you are admitted. We strongly encourage you to take all tests sooner rather than later. If you don’t meet the GPA requirement, you may also be required to pass tests prior to starting the program. There may be other tests mandated by the state of Oregon for teacher licensure. Please consult this list of testing requirements.

Can I add endorsements such as ESOL or Reading to my teaching license?

Yes! Once you receive your MAT, you may begin coursework for additional endorsements or licensure. You will receive the 20% alumni grant for these programs and may also be eligible for tuition assistance from the school district that hires you.

What are the advantages of starting my degree now?

The sooner you begin, the sooner you’ll be able to apply your new skills and knowledge to begin your career, advance in your current role or take on a new position. We understand the temptation of waiting for life to slow down, but does it ever? Investing in yourself and your career provides a great return on your investment! We can help you get started by streamlining the admissions process.

How can I afford a degree?

Concordia offers and accepts numerous funding options, such as school-based scholarships, grants, federal financial aid, monthly payments, military benefits, and additional promotions to those candidates who qualify. We will provide you with an enrollment specialist or admission counselor who will discuss all your funding options, and we have a dedicated financial aid team that can answer your questions regarding federally funded programs. If you are employed, we also encourage you to check with your employer to see if they offer tuition reimbursement. Check out this free e-book with more tips for lowering the cost of your MEd degree.

Does Concordia offer post-graduate seminar credits?

Yes! Concordia University is proud to partner with Dr. Becky Bailey, an international expert, publisher in early childhood education and development and the creator of Conscious Discipline, to provide graduate seminar credit for her workshops. Learn more on our Professional Development Conferences page.

MAT commonly used vocabulary
  • TSPC: Teacher Standards and Practices Commission. This is the governing body that awards teacher licenses in the state of Oregon.
  • COHORT: A group of fellow students with whom you will complete all of your classes. Our students become very close with their other cohort members. Cohorts form strong bonds of friendship and support during the program and continue to keep in touch and network with each other once the program is completed.
  • PRACTICUM & STUDENT TEACHING: Hands-on, practical experiences in the school system. Students take on the roles and responsibilities of their cooperating teachers during these times. The practicum is seven to eight weeks of full-time teaching, and the student teaching is twelve weeks of full-time teaching. Student teaching and the practicum schedule will vary slightly between the MAT and MAT-Evening programs.
  • edTPA: The culminating project for the MAT program, it is a performance-based assessment completed during the student teaching experience. edTPA evaluates candidates’ ability to plan and implement lessons, assess their own teaching efficacy, and adapt their practices accordingly. The MAT coursework and optional workshops offered during the program will help candidates prepare for edTPA. Concordia MAT students get to complete edTPA two times and submit their best assessment for evaluation.
  • ENDORSEMENTS: The subject area(s) in which secondary students will be licensed. Examples include biology, foundational math, P.E., or language arts.