Wyoming Teaching Certification Overview: Become a Certified Teacher

The requirements for teaching vary by state. It’s important to understand what is required for the state in which you want to teach. There are different ways to obtain your teaching certification in Wyoming. Understanding each option for certification will prepare you for a successful career as a teacher in this state.

Requirements for Certified Teachers in Wyoming

To acquire a teaching certification in Wyoming, you must have a bachelor’s degree in education from a regionally or nationally accredited teacher education program. The program must include a student teaching component.

Wyoming has two areas in which the applicants are required to pass a Subject Area Competence assessment. These exams allow you to obtain an additional endorsement.

If you are interested in teaching at the elementary level, you will need to pass the PRAXIS II exam 001 with a minimum score of 160. The Social Studies endorsement requires you to pass the Social Studies Composite. This is the PRAXIS II exam 0081, and you must pass with a minimum score of 158.

You may also apply to receive an institutional recommendation. There is no test required for this endorsement. It is given by completing a teacher preparation program with a specialty in the desired teaching field. You apply for this endorsement at the same time you apply for your license.

Non-traditional routes to teaching in Wyoming include being licensed in another state, and having taught in that state for three out of the last six years. You will need to show proof of your teaching history. Your PRAXIS II test scores will also need to be submitted.

Learn more about our online degree programs

On Campus
Yes! By submitting this form I ask to receive email, texts and calls about degree programs on behalf of Concordia University - Portland, and agree automated technology may be used to dial the number(s) I provided. I understand this consent is not required to enroll.

If you wish to obtain your Wyoming teaching certification but have not completed a teacher preparation program, there is still a way for you to become licensed. This route requires you to have a bachelor’s degree in the subject you wish to teach. You must then enroll in the Northern Plains Transition to Teaching (NPTT) program. This program will allow you to teach while earning your certification. The NPTT requires that you are currently employed by a school as a full-time teacher. Once hired, you can then apply for an Exception Authorization and must immediately enroll in the program.

Whether taking a traditional route to licensure or taking an alternative route, all applicants must submit to a background check and obtain a fingerprint clearance card. You must also have knowledge of the US and Wyoming constitutions.

Wyoming Jobs for Licensed Teachers

There are additional endorsements you can obtain for specific teaching areas. These include art, music, science, physical education, and languages. Some of these endorsements are broken down further into specific categories. For example, social studies also includes a separate endorsement for geography.

You may qualify to be a substitute teacher if you have completed at least 65 hours at an accredited institution. You may also qualify if you have a high school diploma or GED. In this case, you must complete 24 hours of district training and 10 hours of classroom observation for each grade you wish to teach. All substitute teachers must pass the US and Wyoming constitution exams and submit an application for a Wyoming Educator Permit.

If you teach an academic subject that the U.S. Department of Education has designated as a Teacher Shortage Area (TSA), you may qualify for student loan deferment or cancellation. During the 2012-2013 school year, Wyoming has statewide designated TSAs in 16 subjects, including physical education, geography, history, and mathematics.

Teaching License Reciprocity in Wyoming

If you have obtained a license from another state, you may be eligible for a Wyoming teaching certification. This means that you do not have to apply for a license in Wyoming. For more information on license reciprocity, see Wyoming’s requirements and Teaching License Reciprocity Explained.

Disclaimer: Licensing requirements are subject to change. Please visit your state board of education to check for recent revisions to teaching license requirements.

< show all "Licensing" articles