Earn your M.Ed. or Ed.D. 100% online and transform your future.
Become the transformative leader of your career and your life with the advantages you gain when you earn your Master of Education or Doctorate of Education fully online through Concordia University - Portland.
As an accredited, faith-based university, our mission for more than 100 years has been to provide Concordia Portland students with a quality education based on leading-edge academic theory, practical skills, and proven techniques. All of our graduate online degree programs feature rigorous, focused courses designed to give you the professional knowledge to help advance your education as you advance your career.
You’ll be led by experienced faculty, grounded in real-world cases and dedicated to your success inside and outside the classroom. Take what you learn in class and apply it to your job the next day. Complete online assignments when and where it’s most convenient. Take the next step with Concordia University - Portland and transform your future: Read More...
Choose from six M.Ed. degrees and 20 concentrations and gain the skills, knowledge, and training to lead the next generation of learners.
Choose from four Ed.D. specializations designed to help you become a transformational education leader focused on helping others in our increasingly complex, diverse, and fast-changing society.
The Concordia University - Portland Community
Our 22-acre campus is in Portland, Oregon, one of the premier cities of the northwestern U.S. and a center of cultural diversity. Founded by The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod, we’re committed to academic scholarship intertwined with faith-based values. Our goal is to prepare graduates for lives of learning, service, and leadership.
We believe in the value of diverse views and meaningful collaboration: Throughout your online education, you’ll be part of a small, close-knit group of peers who progress through the program together as part of our cohort-learning model. Your fellow students become not just classmates; they also become part of your professional network.
While we embrace innovation, Concordia University - Portland also stays true to our unchanging values in a constantly changing society. As just one example, we fulfill our commitment to service in the community through a number of programs with nonprofit partners in Portland and the larger region, actively engaging our students, faculty, staff, and supporters in these efforts.
This commitment to helping others improve their lives is part of our identity as a nonprofit institution of higher learning. While we’re a traditional university, we know that an on-campus experience isn’t the best solution for everyone.
Thousands of working professionals from across the nation and outside the U.S. have chosen Concordia Portland’s fully online M.Ed. and Ed.D. degree programs specifically because our unique blend of academic rigor, coursework flexibility, and student-first support allows adult students to further their education and balance career and family responsibilities.
The Value of an Advanced Degree
During some point in their careers, many working adults analyze whether the commitment needed to earn an advanced degree balances out the professional and personal advantages they can gain by earning an M.Ed. or Ed.D.
These advantages, including specialized knowledge, increased professional networking, and other resources and skills gained as part of the learning experience, can be powerful incentives. Each candidate ultimately will need to decide for him or herself. We can, however, provide guidance. Specifically, there is data to show the benefits of a master’s degree for teachers, both in terms of compensation and classroom performance.
The following statistics are based around our M.Ed. and Ed.D. programs. We’ve been offering M.Ed. degrees online for several years and now have thousands of Master of Education online graduates.
In terms of the education sector nationally, we can show teachers with M.Ed. and Ed.D. degrees earn more than their counterparts who don’t hold advanced degrees:
- Both public and private school teachers with master’s degrees earn more money, with public school teachers holding master’s degrees averaging a 23.9% salary increase and private school teachers holding master’s degrees averaging a 28.4% salary increase compared to their counterparts who hold only undergraduate degrees, according to the National Center for Education Statistics [NCEA Table 87, prepared May 2013].
- Public and private school teachers with doctoral degrees likewise report earning more money, with public school teachers holding an Ed.D. or equivalent averaging a 33.8% salary increase and similarly qualified private school teachers averaging a 64.5% increase compared to counterparts who hold only bachelor’s degrees [NCEA Table 87, prepared May 2013].
- An advanced degree can also help teachers boost student performance, which is an increasingly important element in terms of salary increases or other pay boosts: Since 2005, students in grades 4 and 8 led by teachers with a master’s education scored higher on standardized math and reading assessments than did students whose teachers held only bachelor’s degrees, according to the latest report from the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP), the largest nationally representative assessment of students. [Source: U.S. Department of Education, Institute of Education Sciences, National Center for Education Statistics, National Assessment of Educational Progress, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013 Math and Reading Assessments.]
The Concordia University - Portland Online Advantage
The above statistics address national trends in the education sector. And many other colleges and universities also offer advanced online degree programs.
Why choose Concordia University - Portland? As a pioneer in the online advanced degree experience for working adults, we’re distinguished by our significant commitment to academic excellence and personalized student support.
In fact, our M.Ed. online alumni and current online students tell us they are highly satisfied with Concordia University - Portland’s online education programs for the following reasons:
- We offer a supportive, highly responsive academic program and support environment: 95% of online M.Ed. and Ed.D. students surveyed* say their instructors respond to emails, discussion board posts, and grade assignment queries on a timely basis.
- The academic quality, national ranking, and high graduation rate of Concordia University - Portland’s online programs speak to a rigorous, recognized degree experience: 96% of Concordia Portland online M.Ed. graduates surveyed* say they are satisfied with their overall program experience.
- The graduate degrees our students earn online offer the knowledge and skills to help advance their careers, be better teachers, and effectively lead other educators: Ninety percent (90%) of Concordia Portland M.Ed. graduates surveyed* report positive career benefits as a result of earning their degree. These career benefits include but aren’t limited to pay increases, promotions or new jobs, increased job security, job-title changes, and supervisor and/or peer recognition.
- Our students tell us Concordia University - Portland’s online graduate program tuition is affordable, with 93% of current students surveyed* agreeing their tuition is a worthwhile investment.
At Concordia University - Portland, we stay in close contact with our current online students and alumni. We most recently surveyed our M.Ed. online alumni in December 2013. Our M.Ed. and Ed.D. online students’ survey was conducted in February 2014.